Chief Engineer (3914)
|Share this:||Click to email this to a friend|
Please answer these questions and upload your resume:
Areas of Responsibility
Provide day to day supervision for the Facilities engineering functions. The Chief Engineer is responsible for the operation, maintenance, and repair of both critical and non-critical infrastructure and the environments in which they reside. The Chief Engineer also assists the Operations Manager in directing a select group of engineers with the operations and maintenance of all assigned buildings.
Primarily responsible for ensuring the safe, efficient, and effective operations of all building systems including but not limited to proactively scheduling personnel and activities in a manner that provides continuous support to the building’s tenants and effective maintenance to building systems, as well as coordinating and providing oversight to contracted construction and maintenance activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
In conjunction with the Property Manager, oversee the maintenance and continuous operation of both critical and non-critical infrastructure and environments including: fire/life safety systems, mechanical systems (AHU, Chillers), electrical systems (UPS, generators, and primary switch gear), etc.
- Identify the maintenance objectives of the facility and incorporate those objectives into a documented plan that includes preventive, predictive, and reactive maintenance procedures.
- Direct the performance of employees and contracted maintenance work as needed. Specific tasks include but are not limited to: ensuring the timely performance of maintenance contract work, overseeing the fulfillment of equipment warranty obligations by the installer, and obtaining equipment manuals and drawings from the installers/contractors.
- Supervise, direct, and perform maintenance on a variety of complex electrical distribution systems (Static Switching Equipment, Open Transition ATS Systems, Power Quality Monitoring Equipment, etc.), HVAC equipment operations (Cooling Water Loop Distributions, Condenser Water Distributions, In-Row High Density Systems, Controls, etc.).
- Supervise, perform, and implement the preventative maintenance programs. Specific duties include but are not limited to: scheduling preventative maintenance with a minimum disruption of critical utility services delivery; performing and/or delegating preventative maintenance tasks to the appropriately qualified O&M service provider; ordering parts and equipment required for repair, maintenance, and installation of new equipment; and maintaining inventory.
- Assist with directing the performance of contracted maintenance work as needed. Specific tasks include but are not limited to: insuring the timely performance of maintenance contract work; overseeing the fulfillment of equipment warrantee obligations by the installer; securing equipment manuals and drawings from the installers/contractors; and insuring that all vendors providing services have up to date documentation.
- Provide training and supervision to expand the capabilities of the operations staff.
- Identify safety hazards within the facilities; incorporate the remediation of such hazards into the operation activities of the team to ensure that the building’s staff and occupants work in a safe environment.
- Implement, administer, and manage safety training program.
- Ensure that compliance of all regulatory laws and guidelines are met as they relate to the operation of the building’s infrastructure in cooperation with the Director of Compliance and/or his designee; alert management of facility discrepancies.
- Assist in the development of an operating budget and capital plan which would include planning for infrastructure upgrades, equipment replacements, and building modifications to ensure the building’s future capabilities are maintained.
- Review and provide feedback for customer up fit drawings focusing on Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, and Life Safety System. This is to ensure system will not cause any impact or risk to the facility along with billing for any above standard services.
- Have a full understanding of the (BAS) building automation system and building sequence of operation. This includes any system being installed by the customer focusing on any equipment or construction that could affect or impact the asset or operation.
- Ensure that major projects performed at the building are properly planned, executed, and closed out in accordance Federal, State, and local requirements.
- Maintain all infrastructure and compliance documentation for the building including up-to-date building drawings and single-lines as well as documentation mandated for the purpose of maintaining regulatory compliance with Federal, State, or local law.
- Handle advanced training and notification to all contractors so that they are informed and knowledgeable with respect to the building’s critical functions and the work they are to perform, including an incident contact response list.
- Understand and comply with emergency escalation procedures.
- Perform additional job duties as requested.
- Direct supervision of select group of engineers including but not limited to approval of payroll, expenses, coverage schedules, and other administrative tasks.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Direct experience managing Class-A office and mixed use commercial space with experience in Facility engineering, design, and operations.
- 5+ years of experience in facility engineering and 3+ years of supervisory experience. Experience shall include previous facility operations in a non-critical infrastructure environment that includes but is not limited to redundant electrical and mechanical systems, UPS systems of at least 2400kVA, UPS batteries, back up generation, automated system controls, open transition load switching, Automatic Transfer Switches, and chilled water systems.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to communicate well in both verbally and in written reports.
- Proven ability to successfully lead a team.
- Experience with preparation of, and adherence to, annual budgets
- Proven record of providing excellent customer service.
- Proficient in basic computer applications and software such as MS Office applications.
- Familiar with design software such as CADD; ability to read, comprehend, and offer technical advice on system plans/drawings where needed.
- Proficient at technical writing to support the team in the delivery of such services.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Use of computer, calculator, and other standard office equipment requires continuous or repetitive arm-hand movements.
- Review and inspection of facilities and construction sites requires the ability to work in a variety of conditions, hearing alarms, climbing ladders and scaffolds to access and walk on pitched roof tops, to access and enter cramped quarters such as crawl spaces which may include exposure to insects, rodents, and reptiles.
- Ability to safely lift 25 – 40 lbs.
< Back to Careers Page